Wednesday 3 June 2009

Do anyone have answer to this insanity !!

"Hi, can i get my Oyster recharged at this counter?" Shekhar
"Sure" Helpdesk guy
"But its for the Bus Pass" Shekhar
"No issues, it can be done here" the guy sitting in the help desk in Heathrow Airport spoke with no expressions on his face.
He was an Asian, not sure whether Indian, bcoz most of the Asians i found in London are PKs - this is what we use to call Pakistanis.
I gave 60 pounds to the guy and he recharged my Oyster with monthly Bus Pass. I left the counter triumphantly as if a long pending task has been done, as from the last three days the shop, where we usually use to recharge our Oysters in The Arena, which is situated in Stockley Park, near our office, is closed, n every time i discover this when i visit the shop, walking nearly a mile. I wonder why don't he put a note infront of his shop stating til when his shop is going to get closed.

I walked a few steps and i realized that i forgot to take the reciept for my monthly pass. I nearly ran towards the counter. The counter was occupied by another customer, so i waited till it get vacated. I politely asked the same help desk guy, "Hi, Sorry to bother U again, but i forgot to collect the reciept for my recharge."
"U forgot to ask me to GENERATE the bill for ur recharge" HD guy said again with no expression.
"Ok, Can u generate it now?" Shekhar
"Sorry, the machine can only regenerate the reciept for the last transaction.See" He pressed an anonymous buttom and the reciept gets printed. I didn't bothered to look into the amount of the bill bcoz definitely its not going to be such huge amount of 53 pounds.
"Don't you have any priviledge to get my reciept regenerate? I really want to have that so that i can use it as supportings for my claims to my company." I said in a pleading tone.
"You can go to the underground station and get the card summary printed over there and use that as the supporting, otherwise there is no other mean to prove that you ever recharged your Oyster today".
I knew its not goin to work but i still asked once again "There is absolutely no any other mean?" The guy was as expressionless as he was during my first interaction with him. Man! Atleast show some irritation.

I made my way back to the bus stop where Paurang, Meghav and Snehal were waiting for the bus. It was after 30 minutes from the time we stepped from the last bus, so i decided to utilize the margin time and get my Oyster recharged and all this crap happened to me.
I wonder why these people dont use the machine which can reprint last 10 transactions?
I wonder why they don't ask the person, inspite of relying on that person to ask them for the reciept?
I wonder why don't they provide the reciept to everybody?

Answer to last one is VAT, as suggested by Paurang. Seems Logical. Back home, the same logic persists.
But answer to first wondering question is still not clear. Accordin to Meghav, In India, PCO owners can reprint the bills of the entire day's calls. Why don't they export that machine from India and let India become the technology hub, in addition to Service hub.

One more thing which i feel UK should export from India is -- Traffic Lights.
Here, Traffic signals do contains all the three essential lights, but in India, in most traffic lites, we have a concept of timer which constantly displays the time left for the signal to change. That gives drivers to switch off their engines in Red lites when there are enough time left for signal to get change. UK lacks it. And they keep their engines allow to waste the vital fuel which is a big concern for the entire world.

"U were being contemptuous and insolent with me from the entire day, dats why this crap happens to you" Snehal made an inane comment.
" Ok, so you were doing Black Magic on me, Huh" Shekhar
"What do U use for do that , people’s hair, when did U took my hair?" Shekhar
"Twing" Meghav made a funny noise as if taking out my one hair.
"Yes I use to take one hair of the person (Twing) who tease me and do Black Magic on him" Snehal spoke with a zany innocency.
"Twing" Meghav
We all laughed.
Our bus arrived.

Me and Snehal were first in the queue.
"2 Staines" I said with a slight high pitch as, in London there is a separate cabin for Bus drivers, so in order to let the driver listen my words clearly.
He said something which i was not able to understand and neither Snehal.
He was a Man of nearly 40 years of age. His accent was tough for me to comprehend and he was speaking with a rocketing speed too nearly 2000 words per minute.
"Sorry ??" I beg my pardon.
He again said something, this time i was able to comprehend some words, not the entire sentence, I heared something lyk "U can b a bit polite, say please", somehting lyk dat.
I didn't understood what he was trying to say but i realised that he was not happy with my "a bit" high pitch voice.
So i again said with the most polite pitch i can make "2 Staines".
"PLEASE" he said with a cranky voice, stating clearly that he wants me to suffix "Please" at the end of the sentence.
And i immediately fullfilled his desire.
There was a mixed feeling of anger, disgrace and embarrassment, but I was trying to smile which was ostensibly fake,

After two three more English commuters, Meghav's turn came to take tickets.
Till then we reached to our seats, where we usually use to seat, and i was about to convey Snehal, what just happened.
I just turned to look if Meghav and Paurang boarded the bus and i saw Meghav was saying "Sorry, i am not able to understand" in a pretty high pitch.
I immediately understood what was happening their.
"A ticket for Staines station" Meghav, with a much higher pitch.
"Say that magical word or get out of the bus" Respect seeking driver said in a belligerent voice.
Meghav furiously turned around and get out of the bus.
I think till then Paurang might have understood the entire scenario.
He took his tickets.
He had got an excellent verbal skills and English accent and very comfortable to put those fillers lyk "Please" and “ThankU” in his sentences.
Paurang asked apologies on behalf of Meghav, but still the Driver wanted Meghav to say “The Magical Word” – “PLEASE”.
Meghav did that bluntly. He was furious.

“Few years back they threw MDK Gandhi from train, today his effigy is there in Tussaudes. In 2009 they threw me from the Bus, Book a place for me too in Tussaudes” Meghav announced.

I was trying to figure out the probable reason for the Driver’s behaviour.

Mite b he was considering our "a bit" high pitch as impoliteness and was feeling as being harassed.
Mite b some Indian had eloped her daughter, and so he hate all Indians.
Mite b we are not so good in accent as they are and so he considers our accent as blunt.
Mite b he was just trying to fulfil his ego by putting us down, as we belong to less developed nation than his, and moreover we are in their country.

"Pick out driver's one hair for ur Black Magic, ask him ‘Can I have ur one hair PLEASE?’" I asked Snehal wittingly.
"Twing" Meghav noisly said.
We all laughed and left the bus at Staines.
Me and Meghav didn't said "Thank You" to the driver while departing the bus which everyone in this country follow very religiously.

Even after doing enuf interospection on the probable reason for the driver’s behaviour, I was clueless. Can anyone of U have an answer??

----The Shekhar

17th April 09

No comments:

Post a Comment